There are several advantages to having wine for dinner that are both frugal and fun:
- Wine is delicious and filling. Who needs well balanced meals with protein and other nutrients when you can feel oh-so-good after a couple five glasses of wine?
- Inevitably, if I have wine for dinner, I’ll be having a dance party for dessert. By “dance party” I mean enthusiastic, exuberant, highly physical interpretive expressions of the works of Ke$ha and other great musical artists of our day. I acknowledge that I might look like I’m having a grand maul seizure when I’m in the midst of a wine-induced dance party, but I really don’t care. And I’m pretty sure that a highly physical dance party is more effective than any $50/month gym membership.
- You really need only five to ten songs for a fabulous dance party that never gets old when you’ve had a few glasses of wine. Even if you buy your songs in the most expensive way possible (iTunes), this is a cost of only $13 tops. Not bad for hours of entertainment.
- Some snooty people might be thinking, “How could you possibly have an inexpensive meal consisting of wine when a bottle of wine costs at least $15?” To these people, I say “Ptthph!” It is not difficult or unusual to find a tasty bottle of wine on sale for as little as $5 a bottle. Yup, five bucks. Spending $5 on a bottle of wine is not a huge gamble. Worst case, it’s not good enough to be a starter drink. Even a crappy bottle of wine can be consumed after everyone has already had a couple of drinks. Put these failed experiments out for your guests later in the evening; they’ll never know the difference. Check out liquor discount stores and ask about their discounts for buying wine by the case.
- Wine makes you feel all warm inside. Dancing around your house in a highly animated fashion makes you feel even warmer. Go ahead and turn your thermostat down to 60 degrees. You won’t even miss all that expensive heat.
I feel like I should include some sort of disclaimer lest any silly people think that I’m advocating a regular diet of booze in lieu of proper food. I’m not. Please do eat your green vegetables.
Viva la frugal!